Tuesday 15 March 2011

"Ello, ello, ello"

I'm Good Old Bill. I am a Police Constable serving on what is commonly known as 'the frontline'. I am a Response Officer, which means that I am one of the pale skinned, red eyed, eternally tired souls who responds first to the public's 999 calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

I work within one of the UK's largest forces which covers one of the countries largest and most criminally active cities. I will refer to this city, for now, as Metropolis [or Metro]. I am aware that immediately people will read that as meaning I work for the Metropolitan Police  in London. Read what you will, I will say no more. The aim of this blog is to give everyone an idea of what Policing is truly about. What we try to do and what we like, love and indeed hate, about this wonderfully frustrating career. Its about the good times and the bad. The adrenaline rushing highs, coupled with the heartbreaking lows. 

In this modern world of blogs and tweets and God knows what else, a variety of my colleagues from across the four corners of the UK have decided to speak up and speak out in relation to Policing to try and give a real insight into what we do, and what we deal with. I am no different, I just want to give another view, another voice to the bigger picture. 


I'm sure some people are bored to the back teeth with us all as we break open the little bubble of life that most people live within. I'm eternally envious of that bubble. I remember owning one myself some years ago and thought that I lived in a place where crime was just something we read about in the newspaper, with the exception of the odd broken window or punch up at closing time in "The Metro Arms". Crime didn't involve me, because I was not involved in it. It was someone elses problem, I just went to work, came home and enjoyed my family and social life. The rest was a story painted on a television programme, or in a newspaper headline. 
Then I became a Bobby. Life changed...........

For the majority of the time, it all looks very 'Gucci' with flashing lights and noise, followed by pursuits and a rubbing of a "baddies" collar as they are thrown into the 'Paddy wagon' before being put up for the night in "Metro Nick Towers" to enjoy an en-suite room without a view for the evening. 

However, as I'm sure a lot of people are starting to realise, there is more to the "rat race" than the fun and glory that gets shown on the TV - and so the story begins.





No comments:

Post a Comment